A random sampling of the stupid.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Winners never quit, except when they do

Many people have been calling on Clinton to quit the race. For quite awhile, in fact. Personally, I'm sort of on her side; the delegate count is very close, and she's closer in popular vote than in delegates. But she's been using dumb arguments. For instance, she's not a quitter:

"You see all those folks on TV, they keep telling me to quit," she said. "Well, I don’t know, maybe I was just raised with the kind of values you were raised -– you don’t quit on people and you don’t quit until you finish what you started and you don't quit on America. And I'm running for president because I believe that I would be the best president and I’m the stronger candidate to beat John McCain."

YOU'RE STILL IN THE SENATE! What exactly have you been doing there for the past 8 years? And what will you be doing there for at least the next 4 (assuming of course, she's not president)?

I've had this argument with people before. One friend of mine took a class in physics, and because it was hard, decided he couldn't quit and had to major in it. Phrased that way, it sounds sort of stupid, right? Did Romney give up on America? How about Huckabee? Or Edwards? Or Richardson? No, they didn't. They accepted reality, and decided how best to use their time and resources.

Her "best candidate to beat McCain" is much better, if people do the math. Democratic primaries are proportional, but the general election is winner-take-all. According to electoral-vote.com, Clinton beats McCain, but Obama loses. I'm surprised the pundits haven't noticed this. It's likely because they don't like doing math.

Anyway, error rating Clinton continuing to run because she's "not a quitter" instead of "I've done the math, I know my chances, and they don't warrant quitting": 3

-Enginerd

No comments: